Monday, November 10, 2008

One of THE Most Amazing Firesides

Last night will probably be one of the most memorable things in my life. I was able to witness Southern Virginia University give the highest award to President James E. Faust and his wife Ruth W. Faust. The award that was given to them was the Leader-Servant Award. A leader-servant is someone who may be a leader who serves in the workplace, the world by some way, the community, the church, and in the home. Another leader-servant from the the quorum of the twelve was Neal A. Maxwell. There are now 6 beautiful portraits hanging on the wall in Main Hall surrounding a beautiful painting of Jesus Christ showing His example of being a leader-servant.

What I loved most about listening to what was being said about President Faust and his wife was how much their relationship was like a fairy-tale. All of their 5 children were able to come in support and to receive the award for their parents. It was so crazy though because they mentioned a few times how awesome it was for them to come together and see each other at the same time. I guess it had been a long time since all of the children had been together. They all spoke and told stories of their parents, of their love for each other, their children, friends, and even for people they hardly knew.

I learned of the undying love that President Faust showed towards his wife. It was truly unfailing love. Their children remarked how this one time, much later in their life, Ruth couldn't tie her shoe anymore. President Faust told her, "You are so beautiful. I love you so much I would marry you all over again." Then, he knelt down and tied her shoe.

I think about this and it makes me so happy and I wish and I hope I find my future husband just like that. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland sent a video tribute here to SVU addressing us, the faculty, and especially the Faust family. Unfortunately, he was not able to come in person. He talked of President Faust so courteously it was actually quite beautiful. One of the things he shared about President Faust that really struck me was that he said, "[President] Faust is the definition of a gentleman." Elder Holland commented that by President Faust's actions Elder Holland would always look up to him as the perfect example.

I loved learning so much more about President Faust and his wife, Ruth. I didn't know that their kind of love still exists. I remember one of their children saying, "For [President] Faust, Ruth came first; and for Ruth, [President] Faust came first." They always made sure that they thought of each other before they did anything. I loved how much this really touched a lot of the people in the audience and probably became an eye-opener as well.

I am SO glad I attended this fireside. It was such a wonderful and enlightening meeting.

1 comment:

jessica said...

Sara...thank you for summing up in very sweet words what you learned from that fireside. We are part of the Faust family and know that there was much time and prayer spent preparing comments that would appropriately honor and convey what type of people our grandparents were. I've never seen two people kinder to one another and more in love than them. It really was like watching a fairy-tale...definitely inspiring to me!!! Thank you.